Saturday, September 09, 2006

elaboration on the last post...

So, as you can plainly see, we're having TWINS! (why is it that whenever I type that word, it has to be in all caps???) We are both shocked and delighted. I have always wanted three children. Bobby has always said he wanted 2, but he was warming up to the idea of three. I got my way... again - And there is nothing Bobby can do about it! Life is good!

On to the questions everyone has been asking... "Do twins run on either side of your families?" Well, the answer is yes. I have twin cousins. However, they are identical. Identical twins are NOT genetic. Our twins, it appears are fraternal (two eggs meet two sperm becoming two sacs with two placentas. Identical twins share a sac and a placenta and are formed from just one egg that splits in two) On the Trif side, we just found out that Bobby's great great aunt had fraternal twins. It's unlikely that Bobby's genetics plays any part in the fact that we have twins, since it appears that it was ME who released two eggs when we conceived -this is called hypo-ovulating.
I, on the other hand, have my own theory... As many of you know, this pregnancy was a surprise. I stopped taking the pill in June. I thought maybe we could start trying for another little Trif in the Fall, and I wanted to give my body time to get back into it's natural cycle. Well, we got pregnant 2 weeks after I stopped the pill. My personal theory is that my body was playing 'catch up' and that is why 2 eggs were dropped.
Regardless, we are overwhelmed, surprised, anxious, and excited all at the same time.
We need to pick 4 names, 4 godparents, get another crib, another carseat, a double stroller, and probably a new car. (Ugh, the thoughts of driving a mini-van...) And as for the new house, well we managed to fill up all 4 bedrooms, and we haven't even moved in yet! Thank god the house thing was taken care of of I'd be freaking out even more!
We are almost positive we will be finding out the sexes of the two tiny Trifs. We've been surprised enough this time around! We will find out in November.

And help me out on this one if you will ... Please do NOT call them "The Twins!" We have to think of something better than that!

3 comments:

colleen said...

Congrats on the double Trif's!!!

crazedmommy said...

:) So awesome Michelle!!

When I read TCOYF...it said that the way to conceive twins was to get pregnant your first cycle off BCP. I guess that helps you have super fertility!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

carrieincanada

BLAND said...

Congratulations, Michelle. I recommend calling them:

Trif Squared - to harken back to geometry which I must say we never really did have to use in the real world. What a waste of time, right?

If they're boy/girl twins, go with Brandon and Brenda ;)

If they're boy/boy fraternal twins, go with Julius and Vincent from the movie Twins.