Wednesday, March 23, 2005

is this normal?

Bobby is making me blog my current condition...

Let me prelude by stating that as I type this, we are amidst an (unexpected) snowstorm... there is 8+ inches on the ground and an additional 2-4 is expected overnight. Did I ever mention that I, myself, as well as two of my siblings were born in snowstorms?

One of the dads from my work (childcare) used to be an OB nurse. He told me not too long ago that 90% of babies are born when the pressure systems change from HIGH to LOW. He said that most OB depts have the weather channel on 24/7 so they can anticipate any "delivery rushes". Needless to say, I began to watch the radar at weather.com every few days. I was hopeful whenever i saw the little red 'H' move east and a blue 'L' make its way across the map...

The storm in which we are in the midst of is the result of a low pressure system. I have been feeling crampy and just plain uncomfy all day. I have been downplaying it, since Saturday's episode was a case of "false labor" for us. I had a brief period of "timeable" contractions this afternoon, however they may not have been real contractions since I have no idea what the heck I am supposed to be feeling anyhow. Whatever they were, they were happening every 20 minutes and lasting for about 30 seconds. That was from about 2 o'clock until 5:30. My belly continues to "harden" every now and then. But without pain and very inconsistently

In the past few hours I have been experiencing something more annoying than contractions... (i think) and the only way I can describe it is a "grinding" sensation. Its low in my abdomen, actually in my pelvis. It seems like i feel it when the baby moves. I am convinced its just the baby's head descending into my pelvis, which is a really good thing, considering the doctor told me yesterday that baby was still up very high. (I didn't like that doctor very much)

The other thing we have to look forward to is Friday's full moon. I was told by a few sources that many babies like to make their appearance when there is a full moon. This holds true for my nephew... so there is at least one proven case... coincidence, hmm?

I recieved a call from my OB today... induction is set for Monday at 8am. I marked my calendar, but I am not anticipating that we are going to have to wait that long. In fact, I am not taking this whole "induction thing" very seriously at all. To me, its sort of a last resort. I am convinced that this baby will be here before Monday. Even my sister told me today that she thinks I will have this baby by Easter. I hope she is right. It would be nice, considering she is in town until then.

Oh, and one more thing... Today I feel like its a girl.

No comments: