Saturday, April 02, 2005

2 of 3: Eating and Sleeping

Well that first night home from the hospital is always a doozie. Of Course Robert slept all the way from the hospital about 40 min away, to Target, then home with out a cry. He made up for it at night. Quite the "sucker" he enjoys feeding. Probably is a little hungry and enjoying the few tiny drops of liquid he gets.

Thursday night was a little better. He had two 2+ hour stretches of sleep. I was slept through one of them to get about 3 - 5 hrs sleep. That is huge with a newborn. Mich slept about 2 hrs. Friday he again had a great long day nap, about from 12:20 - 245. Unfortunately we had to drive with him to wind gap so Mich could get some lab work done. Later that afternoon he did take another solid hour nap.

Every piece of literature that is available on breastfeeding answers supposed mom's questions about the baby not taking the the breast or not getting enough milk. We have the opposite problem, Robert loves the boob. If he is not sleeping, pooping or in a happy-content moment, he wants to suck on the boob. Now every parent thinks their kid is a genius but Robert truly is. He already knows that the pacifier is NOT a boob. So even though the hospital warns about boob confusion when using pacifiers, Robert is pretty damn smart.

This is just typical as we saw him swallowing and gulping while in the womb on a later ultrasound. And as much as his left arm was curled up into his chest and mouth, he loves that hand, especially in the mouth :-)

Last night (Friday Night) I think he slept well, I think 3 good stretches of sleep. I believe I was up for 2 of them but am such a damn heavy sleeper that I didn't wake up for one. If I could feed I would insist the wifey wake me up. But I try and make up for it doing stuff around the house during the day. My biggest struggle is getting Michelle to sleep when Robert is with me or sleeping. But I think after feeling the exhaustion of last night she is ready to start listening.

No comments: