Thursday, April 14, 2005

The breast is best?

Its 3am... time to eat - again! I have Robert on my lap, latched on the right side, and a bottle of formula in front of me.

Robert has not been gaining weight properly. Most likely due to the improper latch I posted of earlier. And although we seem to have made some improvement, my body doesn't want to produce enough milk to feed this little guy. We have been to the pediatrician twice and both times he recommended supplementing with formula. Robert's weight was down to 7 lbs 15 oz, and I was in tears in the dr.'s office. The truth was evident... My baby was going to have to drink formula.

I was reluctant to start it for two reasons: 1. fear that Robert may like the bottle nipple better than my own and 2. the breast is best.
I have read all about 'nipple confusion' when a bottle os offered too soon. Also, a baby sucks on a bottle nipple or pacifier differently than he would at the breast. 'Suckling' from the breast is much harder work than 'sucking' from a bottle. Some babies may prefer the ease of a bottle flow and wean themselves from the breast at a very early age. I digress.

I started to give Robert 2 oz of formula at most of his feedings (after offering the breast - we are still trying to increase my supply) The formula makes him gassy, and he hasn't quite figured out how to suck the bottle nipple efficiently. But his skin is less dry - better hydration - and he seems very content after his feedings.

Hopefully this isn't something we will have to continue, but for now its working.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Breast may be best but no one said it wasn't a pain in the ass. It has only been 2.5 weeks, I am sure over the next few weeks things will improve. Hang in there hun!