Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Sicker than we thought...

I thought I'd take Robert to the doctor just to get him checked out before we leave for vacation. I wanted to be sure that there wasn't anything seriously wrong (ear infection, etc) before taking him on a plane.
Dr. Novak was able to see us this morning. I originally called Bobby's mom to see if she could take him, since I was at work. She said okay. Then, I felt guilty. The ratios at work were such that I was able to leave for a few hours. Boy am I glad that I decided to go. (Bobby's mom came too - just in case she will have to take him at some point in the future).

Robert was all smiles at the doctor. He spent a large majority of the morning sleeping, so he was well rested. The nurse weighed him... he gained 10 oz since his last visit, less than 2 weeks ago! holy cow! He didn't have a fever, which was good.

Dr. Novak really listened to Robert's chest/lungs. He concluded that Robert has Croup, a combination of symptoms and illnesses caused by a virus. Basically it affects the windpipe and voicebox. He put Robert on a series of Nebulizer treatments - Albuterol (a steroid) and Pulmacort - both of which I am familiar with from working in the daycare. The treatments are both in liquid form and are placed in a 'vial' to be vaporized. Robert breaths in the vapors via a pediatric face mask (which he hates) and his airways are relieved. Sounds complicated, and it pretty much is.
Doctor Novak suggested that we bring the Nebulizer with us on vacation too. Ugh... more to carry! :)
We didn't end up going back to work, but will return tomorrow.

Bobby has a sinus infection, and was prescribed 3 medications. Our house is just about one drug short of a pharmacy.

No comments: