Tuesday, November 06, 2007

A very literal 'pain in the butt'

This post is going to be all about me. I know you'd rather be reading about the kids and seeing their most recent pictures, but I just need to update everyone on my condition:

A fall down the stairs about 2 months ago has left me, well, pretty much a mess. I was seeing a new chiropractor for about a month, with very little relief. I finally decided to go back to my old chiropractor - from before we moved to Nazareth. He knows my back, and I have always responded well to his technique. After 3 visits, and just a tiny bit of relief, he sent me for an MRI with suspicion of a disc injury.
Fast forward to this week: the MRI results are in and my chiro, Dr. Ryan, wanted to see me right away. He said "it doesn't look good." I have a disc protrosion sandwiched between 2 herniated discs in my lower back. The lower herniation is so severe that it is 'hanging' into my spinal canal and pressing on a nerve, hence the pain. After a complete explanation and visual demonstration, Dr. Ryan warned me that I may need surgery. He said he'd do everything possible to help me avoid that, but I should know that its a definite possibility.
Today was my second day on the Traction Table... a device that 'pulls' and elongates the spine to help the discs shift back into place - or to at least free up some space between the herniation and the nerve. (it doesn't look like the lower herniation is going to go anywhere at this point.) I need to continue treatment on the table as often as possible for as long as it takes for me to start feeling better.
In the mean time, I've been told to handle the kids with care and be mindful of my lifting and bending - which I really shouldn't be doing at all. Unfortunatly, not doing it is not an option for me.
Dr. Ryan told me that another pregnancy will pretty much destroy my back. This information alone is enough to send me for a second opinion. But that's a bridge I'll have to cross down the road. Alot can happen between now and 'then' - whenever that may be.
Enough about me for now. I promise the next post will be all about the kids!

1 comment:

Casey said...

Hey Mich - sorry to hear about your back troubles! I am very familiar with traction - that is what they put me in when I broke my neck. It's painful and just a pain but can be very helpful. It has to be hard with three little ones to lift and carry! I wish you the best recovery and don't worry about his pregnancy advice, I am sure he is just being precautionary and you will be more than able to continue the Trif football team as soon as you desire :)