Friday, August 01, 2008

A typical gym trip

This exact scenario happened TWICE this week:
3-4 times/week, we go to our local YMCA - a typical weekday afternoon activity for us. I get to workout and get a break from the kids while they play in the babysitting room - they love it. As we leave, I make sure each child is clean and presentable before loading them in the mini van one by one. This usually entails changing diapers, putting hair in pigtails and using the potty - also wiping noses and mouths. Once the kids are all in safe I take a look around, grab my ipod and a bottle of water and we're off. Robert screams that he wants to watch a dvd enroute. We live 3 miles from the gym. I explain to him for the 500th time that we only watch movies in the car when we travel far away.
5 minutes later:
We arrive at the gym, and get a decent parking spot - hooray! (I prefer a close one so I don't have to drag three kids through traffic. When I am alone, I park far away - I am gym rat, but not a lazy one.) I take Ava from her car seat and unbuckle Robert, who sits behind her. They both climb out. Ava has ripped out both of her pigtails. ugh. I quickly replace them and tuck her securely on my hip. We go to the other side of the van to gather Alex. Alex has pulled his shoes off. I find one on the floor but the other is no where in sight. I search all around and finally give up. At this point Ava and Alex are wandering around the inside of mini-van and Robert is at my hip, but wanting very badly to jump into traffic - just to hear me scream his name. I grab a twin and hold hands with the other. Robert tags along on my back and asks repeatedly "Are you going to get sweaty?" Alex goes into the gym without shoes. Ava is fighting to pull her (very sloppily re-done) pigtails out again. I let her win. Robert's butt crack is showing - he hasn't quite learned to pull his pants up properly after using the potty.
We make it inside and are greeted by the people behind the desk who claim to "love my kids." (I used to work in child care - I know how that translates.) I joke that I know that as soon as they see me coming they must call down to the babysitting room to let them know the crazy lady with 3 kids is on her way down - brace yourselves ladies.
I sign them in, say my goodbyes and a Thank You in advance before escaping. I jump on the treadmill. It's my favorite 45 minutes of the day.

Oh, and in case you were wondering, Alex's other shoe was waiting for us at home, on the floor of the garage.

No comments: