Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Why bother?

Today we gave Story Time at the library another try. Sure, Robert was a monster last month at our first attempt, so lets bring his one year old brother and sister this time and see how much worse it could possibly get. And worse it did get.
Story Time today was held in the township building (as it usually is on Tuesdays) I had never been to this building and the room where it was held was more like a closet - not at all conducive to our double stroller. We got it in, but there was no way any one was coming out. The room was crowded with little people sized chairs, but Robert chose to stand. Even when given a choice to sit on the floor or in a chair - he chose to stand... right in front of the story teller. He very obviously wasn't interested at all in the story being read. In between stories, the story teller sang songs. Robert interrupted her every time, insisting that he was singing it the wrong way. How many ways are there to sing "The wheels on the bus" anyway? Ava and Alex got antsy and wanted out of the stroller. I held them both for a few minutes and then they wiggled out of my arms. The girls next to us loved this. They pulled out their cell phones and started snapping pictures of my kids. WTF? If these girls have cell phones, doesn't that make them a bit old for Story Time? I guess it could be worse - but let's just hope we don't see my kids pictures in some obscure internet site or worse yet, on YouTube.
A neighbor friend was there. She helped by alternating the twins and taking them outside for a change of scenery. Of course, her grand daughter (who is just one week older than Robert) was a perfect angel. She listened to the story, stayed in her chair and interacted with the story teller. Robert had one hand down the back of his shorts and the other up his nose while he stared at the ceiling. I'm so proud.
Later, the neighbor friend proclaimed that "I need to start stepping up" and "start disciplining him or I am in for some trouble." Then she kindly added "and you better start working on these guys (the twins) too. Then she chuckled. UGH. So, my kids are a bit wild. They are 3 and 1 and there are 3 of them. I suppose I shouldn't bother leaving the house with them - ever.
Story time is for well behaved kids. Not mine - apparently.

Maybe its one of those twin things that some people just don't get.

1 comment:

Casey said...

Aww screw off Granny neighbor! It's story time and kids misbehave. I'd start with good old fashioned bribery first with Robert ("if you are good at story time we'll get ice cream on the way home") It's a parenting No No but works everytime. Otherwise I would just turn a deaf ear - he's only THREE and he had fun I'm sure! :) Sorry you had a rough time :(