Monday, March 17, 2008

Not Irish today

Ava is dressed in red. Alex has on a blue/green plaid shirt- certainly not on purpose. I didn't remember it was actually St. Patrick's Day until after everyone was bathed and dressed this morning. Ever since I have been married, (the day I "became" Italian) this holiday has meant nothing to me. Let me rethink that... ever since I have been out of college and binge drinking was no longer a festive activity, this holiday has meant nothing to me. In fact, I never even considered myself Irish - yet my paternal grandmother's maiden name was Lavin. Shame on me.
I have memories of my mom making Irish potatoes, and corned beef and cabbage each year on this day when I was growing up. Yum! I guess when you 'become' Italian (or graduate college and have 3 kids) it just doesn't matter anymore.
So tonight, in honor of St. Patrick's Day, we will be having (Steak and) Potatoes for dinner. And maybe a side of pasta.

No comments: