Tuesday, June 24, 2008

"I had blood work today"

I took Alex for blood work today - since he seems to be healthy. The pedi wants to see a complete blood count to determine if he has a normally low white blood cell count. We had the same phlebotomist that we had last time - the one that cried when she couldn't get a vein in Alex's tiny arms. This time she decided to prick his finger.
He screamed and cried the whole time - not because it hurt, but because he hated being held down. We were all a bloody mess by the end and Alex's day was pretty much destroyed. Then, they had a hard time getting his finger to stop bleeding...
We made a quick stop at the library, where Alex passed out in the stroller and Ava decided to be cranky (she wanted to get out and run around.)
When we were finally home, the lab called. The blood they had taken had clotted and we need to re-do the test. ugh. Are you kidding me? His finger wouldn't clot after the blood was drawn but the vial clotted? So now we have to go through this whole ordeal again, but I think I need a day to regroup. Maybe we'll shoot for Thursday.
Robert got a sticker that said "I had bloodwork today" and he was the happiest kid in the world. Ava got one too, but she ate hers before we even got back to the car. I wonder why Alex didn't get one...?

No comments: