Thursday, July 17, 2008

Fat Toe

Just wanted to share a few 'not so nice' things that were a result of my 'mommy getaway' to Hawaii:
~My sunburn... which is now ugly and peeling and discolored. My back looks like I have leprosy.
~My ears are infected - from the cultured pearl earrings I bought. ugh. should have cleaned them first.
~I purchased a toe ring. I was fitted by a nice guy (or should I say 'gAy' - (s)he wore eyeshadow, nail polish, lip gloss and woman's clothing) I think I was fitted too small - (s)he crammed the ring on my second toe and I questioned it's size. A typical woman, (s)he insisted that the smaller size would fit. Now, my toe is three times it's normal size and the ring won't budge. I foresee a jeweler chiseling it off in the near future. I called the place I bought it from and they said they'd replace it for me if I had to have it removed. I should have insisted on the larger size. One more thing - the g(a)uy said he was runway model, but he was too short or something. Why, then, is (s)he fitting toe rings at a hut in Kona? Strange aspirations.
~My iPod Nano died while I was gone. Something to do with Hawaii humidity combined with my sweat getting inside from one of my runs.
~My cell phone SIM card died after day 2. Bad timing. Luckily, Bobby had my iPhone waiting for me when I got home. A great friend let me use her phone (thanks, Lean!) I was nervous traveling home without a phone, but it somehow all worked out.

And finally...
~I never realized that my job is actually HARD. I mean, I guess I never knew any better - I just always did what I had to do - without ever having a real break. I never thought it was really tough and laughed when people would say "I don't know how you do it."
After being away for 5 days, I came home having almost no desire to be a mom. I started to question "How DID I do it?" Don't get me wrong... I love my kids to death and missed them like crazy - I just didn't feel like 'working.'
I am pretty much over that now. But I never in a million years thought I'd feel like that! Maybe it's the fat toe that is changing my perspective.

The pros outweigh the cons. Many of you know I was nervous about the trip. But I am SO GLAD I went. I have some of the best friends in the world, and this vacation was much needed and just, well, awesome!

1 comment:

mrs.izzy said...

wow, that was a lot of little bad things there.. but having a break from the kids, I'm sure it was all very worth it.

I guess being away for a while and not having kids, you realize how easy things used to be. And how hard you work as a mom now.

It isn't easy, is it.

I hope you get your toe ring out without unnecessary intervention.